Budapest

Budapest
Buda Castle, Budapest

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Serbian student: “I would like everybody to know that God really changes lives and does amazing things.”



This is a picture from the street near the apartment of the team of missionaries we have in Novi Sad. This is Chuki (rhymes with cookie), one of our Serbian national staff. And that is a Yugo there on the left. They are still found in an abundance here in the former Yugoslavia.

If you do indeed read what I have posted over the past few years then you may remember that I have traveled at least once a year to come along side our ministries in either Belgrade or Novi Sad, the two largest cities in Serbia. In years past my work down there was always evangelistic. Yet this trip was different. I went down to teach on the Holy Spirit and what it means to walk with God. Even though there were only 15 gathered in the living room of a small apartment in Novi Sad, it was obvious to me that a corner has been turned. Instead of presenting the gospel to seekers, I was teaching young believers how to grow.

Serbia is a hard country. It is the remnant of the old Yugoslavia and is home to the “politically correct terrorist.” Whenever Hollywood needs a terrorist, they are too afraid to have that terrorist be Muslim or from the Middle East. So usually they choose a terrorist from Serbia. Too bad. The Serbs I know are all hospitable, friendly, great people with a hearty sense of humor who like America.

From left is Thea, ZZ, Cristina and Johanna. Thea’s and ZZ’s testimonies are posted below; please scroll down and read them. One word about Cristina. She is one of our full-time Romanian Campus Crusade staff who has crossed cultural, linguistic and political boundaries to be used by God to share Christ among Serbian students. Christendom needs more heroes like Cristina.

Serbia has a population of over 10 million. But there are only 10,000 born again believers in the country while Muslims number in the hundreds of thousands, mostly across the southern sections. Novi Sad is the principle city in the northern part of Serbia and with three small Bible-preaching fellowships among a population of 200,000, Novi Sad is referred to by the handful of missionaries there as the Bible Belt of Serbia.

You can also see more photos and captions by following this link to my Novi Sad photo album on my facebook page. I’ve also posted the testimonies found below on my facebook site. Please add me as a friend on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=177665&l=9fcfb&id=545260313

Thanks for all you do to keep our family in the mission field in Eastern Europe. There are some HUGE challenges ahead just for the survival of our ministries across Eastern Europe. But thanks to your faithful giving and persevering prayers, our family can be used by God in a small way to advance His kingdom in this part of the world.

This is me with Viktor and Meshu, both Novi Sad students involved in our ministry.

Novi Sad’s city hall is located in the middle of the town square with a very European feel to it.

Oh, I almost forgot… I also spoke recently at our ministry’s Budapest campus meeting. I love our Hungarian staff and EB and I have so many good friends on this team. This is Kálmán and his wife Julci (on the left) plus two of her disciples, Petra and Barbara.

This is me and Laci (“LOTS see”). Laci became a Christian when an American “tourist” in Hungary approached him in 1987, while Hungary was still Communist. The American took the initiative and shared the gospel with him. Today Laci is married with three kids and leads our university ministry in Hungary.

The Serbian students’ stories of faith I found fascinating. I wanted to share two of them with you. Their photos are earlier in this posting. Oh, each story below mentions Speak Up! camp, which is an evangelistic English language camp in Montenegro that EB and I have attended the past two summers.

This is ZZ’s (Aria) testimony.

I had problems with my parents so I was angry with God for giving me parents like that. I didn't want anything to do with God. In 2004 I went to a voluntary work camp in Germany and met my boyfriend who was raised in a Christian family that actually lives Christian life and is tightly involved with the evangelical church. I thought his parents were freaky but they and my boyfriend kept praying for me for like 2 or 3 years. I still didn't want to convert but at least I had heard the gospel and realized that I don't really know what I believe in. Last year I met the students from Campus Crusade at the faculty (university) in Novi Sad and they invited me to Speak Up! camp. I went because I wanted to practice English. I had great discussions with Ramona Acatrinei from Campus Crusade Romania, read “Mere Christianity” and the Book of Revelation and was finally convinced! So the God's loooong knocking finally gave fruit last year."

This is Thea’s testimony…

I heard the Gospel a year and a half ago at the Speak Up! camp, first time in its true shape. Before that, I had believed that God existed and that Jesus walked on Earth like 2000 years ago, but I had no clue what it had to do with me. I learned it at the camp. I honestly experienced God's love there. You might be interested in knowing that your presentation about the Bible was very influential, and that it really made me think. I got a little brochure with some Bible verses and "directions" how to become a Christian. I prayed shortly after the camp.
Then, the group of STINTers (one year mission) came and I connected with a girl name Courtney Cozadd, who is a really amazing woman of God, sometimes it's hard to believe. She started discipling me and I started really progressing in my relationship with God. I joined the Christian Baptist Church here in Novi Sad in October 2007. I got baptized on February 10, 2008 at my church.

I am having an amazing relationship with God through Christ, and I really know what the line "no turning back" means. I know that my life is never going to be the same again. I went from being a bitter, disappointed and confused person to knowing where exactly I am going; God is continually changing me. I have a lot of inner peace, I am becoming more patient and understanding. I really see how God is working in my life daily. It is really amazing...

I would like everybody to know that God really changes lives and does amazing things.

No comments: